- “Beware of tales of ‘devastating accidents or illness.’” Ok by definition some of these are in communities of devastating illness but keep an eye out for the accidents. Not that they don’t happen to people with devastating illness but it may be a clue.
- “Get your digital stalk on.... If the digital trail is sparse, be suspicious. Do those friends look real?”
- Posts consistently duplicating material in other posts, books, or health-related websites.
- Characteristics of the supposed illness emerging as caricatures.
- Near-fatal bouts of illness alternating with miraculous recoveries.
- Fantastical claims, contradicted by subsequent posts, or flatly disproved.
- Continual dramatic events in the person's life, especially when other group members have become the focus of attention.
- Feigned blitheness about crises that will predictably attract immediate attention.
- Others apparently posting on behalf of the individual having identical patterns of writing.